Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Spotlight: Madrid Necklace ($58)

As one of the most powerful, populated cities in all of Europe and the most influential in its' own country, one might expect Madrid to have a showy, dominant looking coat of arms and flag. I did, at least. While researching Madrid as the namesake for my newest summer necklace, however, I found that their city emblems portray a standing bear at a tree with red fruit.


No swords? No crazy medieval helmets? After a little more digging, I found that the city of Madrid was founded by the Moors in the 9th century and was known as "land of the bears". Turns out that the tree pictured on both the coat of arms and city flag is called a Strawberry Tree, and is native to the area. The bear and the strawberry tree shield is thought to date back to 1212, when it was first used at the Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa. (an important battle for Spain during the Crusades) Little red beads, strawberry tree...Madrid is even more of a perfect name than I had thought! The thing that I love about this city (and what makes me want to visit even more than I already did) is the fact that they honor their history. Not just with the symbols of their city, but also the city itself. There is a lot of emphasis and importance put on preserving the historical buildings and streets throughout Madrid and I most definitely respect that. In a culture where most of our history gets torn down to accommodate the new and modern, I appreciate a place that restores and preserves their past. I hope you like the newest addition to my International Collection:

the Madrid Necklace.

Materials: glass beads, gold plated 5 strand clasp

Only a few more days to be entered into the Giveaway for March! You have until Thursday, the 25th at midnight to be entered to win! Just click on the giveaway button to the right, comment on the post, and that's it! Good luck!

1 comments:

Renée T. Habashy said...

Oooh! So bold- I love it!

http://reneetbouchard.blogspot.com

Ruth Parker Jewelry's Fan Box