Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Spotlight: Duchess of Rock ($68)

One of the challenges in working with vintage and antique materials is that sometimes they aren't as strong and dependable as one might like. I recently bought this amazing amethyst colored brooch and last night, while working it into the necklace I had envisioned, the glass cabochon popped right out! I am in the process of re-setting the glass and once I am finished, it will be better than new. The glue that was holding it on underneath is very old and obviously had just lost it's stick. Better that it happened to me than you, right?! I felt like being brutally honest about this because I want everyone to know that accidents do happen! If ever you purchase a vintage piece (or any piece, for that matter) of mine and it happens to break or fall apart, please know that I would be happy to take it back and make the proper adjustments and/or repairs to make it good as new again. Here are the pictures I took before "the incident". The entire brooch is about 2 inches long by 1 1/2 inches and is in great condition. This is something I could imagine Sharon Osbourne wearing...yes, sometimes I design jewelry for my celebrity friends who have no idea that I exist. Yet.


Materials: steel chain, antique brass hook clasp, large antique brooch with amethyst colored glass and rhinestones.

3 comments:

ChelMo said...

Beautiful piece! And I love that Sharon Osbourne is your friend.

Renée T. Habashy said...

It's gorgeous- I love how you didn't do too much more than just adding the chain- you let the brooch speak for itself, you know? nice work.

Lauren at Ruth Parker Jewelry said...

Thanks, both of you! I would love to meet her...I can just imagine her grabbing my face and calling me "daahrling". :)

Ruth Parker Jewelry's Fan Box