Monday, January 18, 2010

Pickles and the Art Deco District


I am the very first to admit that my inspiration for things can, at times, stem from very unusual places. I can look at a person, or a plant, or a magazine cover, or even in my fridge and something will spark something else in my head that eventually turns into something spectacular. It's a long line of thoughts...probably more like a web of thoughts (THAT'S why they call it that!)...that if someone were to try to follow they would just end up stuck and SO confused.
PERFECT example: Back in 8th grade, I had this crazy writing final and I was completely stuck on one of the assignments. My teacher had given us at least ten different writing styles that we had to emulate and for some strange reason, my brain train had derailed at RHYME. Really? Rhyme? I spent daaaaaays trying to find inspiration from somewhere, something, anything, to get me going on a sweet rhyme and I was completely and utterly stumped. Then, in a moment of what I like to think of as Divine inspiration, it came to me. I was in the fridge looking for a snack and I saw a giant jar of whole pickles. I love pickles. I used to eat them far too frequently. They're big and sour and dilly...I could go on. I would write a poem-a RHYMING poem-about pickles. Here's the only part that I can remember...it was like a page long and you would've loved it, but this is all I've got:
Pickles
My dad gave me a pickle when I was only three

He thought I would not eat it, but soon I made him see

The only way to wake me up or make me do my chores

Was to bribe me with a pickle from that day forevermore!

Needless to say, the poem was a hit, and the entire class laughed out loud with me when I read it as my personal favorite choice. Last week, I had one of these moments. I was holding a strand of octagonal jade beads, trying to figure out what I was going to make with them. Then I thought about my favorite vacation spot. Next was a certain city I had traveled to while on vacation in my favorite place. Which led to one of my favorite types of architecture. Which led me back to the beads I was holding in my hands. And there you have it. The explanation to what you thought was a very random picture at the beginning of this post. Check back Wednesday to see the final result!

**Remember, you have until the 28th to enter to win the Magnolia and Arlington necklace that is this months giveaway!**

2 comments:

Christiansen 6 said...

I can finish the poem for you

The only way to wake me up or make me do my chores was to bribe me with a pickle from that day forever more.

When I got to seven I had not cake or gifts, I only wanted pickles. That was my only wish.

One time they tried to trick me when I was turning eight. They thought they could tempt me with a nifty pair of skates. But when I did not wear them or left them out to rust, they knew then that a pickle gift is definitely a must!

On my eleventh birthday we saw the Angels play, I snuck out to the snack bar to eat relish all the day.

This year I'm turnin thirteen and you might think I'd get a clue, but I still enjoy a pickle everyday right after school.

I really have no preference whether Kosher, Dill, or Sweet as long as it's a pickle it's my favorite thing to eat.

So just remember in the future, gift shopping's not a chore. If you only have a couple buck's pickle's are on isle four!


We must be related or something because I love a pickle too. So much that I hear you wrote this poem and I recited it as my talent in Junior Miss when I was in high school. Thanks for sharing you talents with me back then, and for sharing them with so many now!! You are an inspiration to many!!!

Hope this brought back many memories to you like it did me!! Love ya!

The Gaskins said...

Haha that's awesome! I miss that poem. Hey, you should make something with black in it. I'm in need of a good new blackish necklace ;) love ya!!

Ruth Parker Jewelry's Fan Box